View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 12:50 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Yeah, that episode ran recently on a cable channel I was viewing. But, I don't believe Al mentioned the particular set the card came from. Why would Al, a Chicago guy, presumably in his 40's in about 1990, save a Nuxhall rookie card from, what - 1950? Nuxhall was famously brought up by the Reds at the age of 15 in 1944 and pitched one game to a St. Louis lineup that included Stan Musial. Ed O'Neil is from Youngstown, Ohio, but...who knows?
In another episode Al goes to a card show to try to put together an all-time Cubs team set, but can't find a Ken Hubbs card. Why Hubbs, who only played two seasons with a .247 average? Why not Sandberg, or Hornsby?
Correct. There was never any specifications as to set or year...But Nuxhall rookie card, would lead me to believe that it was supposed to be the '52. The Ohio connection might've been the reason for Nuxhall to be used. Or quite possibly it could've been from a childhood memory. Since O'neill would've been 6 or so, in '52. Maybe it was his first card? Who knows?...I almost forgot about the all time Cubs set....Ken Hubbs. Ha!

Speaking of Ed O'neill. Up until I looked at his Wiki page today, I honestly had no idea that he was signed by the Steelers in 1969...