View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 10:07 AM
John Donovan

Fun thread...I'm sure there are lots of new members here (like myself) that haven't seen this older thread.

I don't have an overly exciting story, but my first card shows in my memory were during the bubble years in the mid to late 1980's.

I grew up in Salina, KS (fairly small town about a three hour drive away from KC) but occasionally there would be someone at a local show signing autographs. At my first show, it was Danny Tartabull. If you were a Royals fan in the 80's, you remember him. I think he went on to play with the Yankees too.

I still have my 1987 Topps card that was signed by him that day.

My second memorable experience that same year was my dad taking me to a live auction at the 4H hall in town. I remember having some money and bidding on a 1986 Donruss Rookies set. I was in a bidding war with some older guy across the room and the price got past my budget and I was ready to admit defeat...but my dad put in a few extra bids and we won the set (dad covered the amount over what I had). I remember being thrilled at the excitement of that live auction. Dad passed a few years ago, but that's a cherished memory.

I love this hobby.