View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Default 1955 Topps Doubleheaders

Posted By: Bob Lemke

Here's a little inside dope about the photo of Bill Bossert's Doubleheaders that ran in BBC.

Bill's set was an unfolded example, in singles form. He sent us the set (or I picked them up on loan at a loan) to make the composite photo. I told our photograher that I wanted them laid out as shown here . . . but I didn't tell her NOT to glue them to a backing board so they would stay put for shooting. So each of these rare unfolded examples was rubber-cemented to a large backing board. Thankfully this was in the days before a lot of today's really good glues were available, so we were able to carefully peel the cards off the board, damaging only three or so with creases in the process. I recall one of the damaged cards was Killebrew; don't recall the others.

As those who know him would expect, Bill took the news like a gentleman and we were able to come to an amicable settlement with him for the damages.

In a similar vein, but before my time at Krause, they had a photographer who was shooting an extremely rare and valuable proof $20 gold piece (I believe the coin was Chet Krause's personal property) for Coins magazine and the annual coin calendar. The photog was working "without a net" and when he fumbled the coin, it fell to the hard floor and sustained a very visible rim dent. At the time (early 1960s), the damage was only a couple of thousand dollars' worth, as the years went by, the difference in value between that damaged coin and an unblemished piece reached $80,000 or so in the 1980s, and today is probably well into six figures.