View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Default 1955 Topps Doubleheaders

Posted By: Ted Holden

1955 was the first year that is still recoverable from my memory bank: baseball cards section, opening packs. I know from the collection I had as a kid that I opened packs before that, but that particular memory does not go back before age 8. That year had the 55 Bowman TV cards, the 55 Topps regular issue and the good ole doubleheaders.

Back when I was 8, I had no clue about the stadiums in the backgroud. In fact, this thread is the first I heard of it. What I knew then was that my friends and I thought the doubleheaders were the worst idea ever. We used our cards to form teams and play baseball games with a deck of cards. We kept track of stats like home runs, RBI's etc. The doubleheaders posed a real problem for us however. Which of the two players was in the game? You don't get to have another guy on the mound when the first guy is pitching. So the first problem was that it messed up our game.

The second issue was the perforations. On many occasions our youthful exuberance and lack of coordination resulted in the doubleheader ending up in two parts. While we would tape them together, it just wasn't the same.

Lastly, their difference in size made it tough to put the team together and hold them in place with a rubber band. The shorter cards tended to slip out.

I think we all ditched our doubleheaders and concentrated on our Bowman TV cards. After all they were in color, and we were intrigued with the idea of color TV.

Does anybody else recall with a shudder dumb stuff you did with cards when you were a kid? Perhaps this needs to be a totally new thread. I just may start one.

Texas Ted