View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Default About soaking cards

Posted By: E, Daniel

David, and I respect your knowledge if you are representing yourself as somewhat expert in this area, do you understand the amount of water remaining in the card after being pressed between some version of blotting paper and some books as not being significantly greater than paper/card that has been manufactured for long term substrate use for lithographic or painting purposes? That is, I know paper that has higher moisture levels will absolutely mold, especially in the right heat conditions. It is why you have to be careful in how you keep books in differing humidity georgraphical areas. Still, it is relatively hard for paper that is 'open' to the elements to draw significant moisture from 'normal' humidity (non tropical) factors and usually it will not start the mold process. I am guessing that pressing out water after soaking would still leave hugely elevated amounts of water remaining in the paper pulp itself, and be more prone to such problems. The natural drying process is not the same as the kiln like rooms that paper is dried out in.
Do you know it to be otherwise?

Daniel