Thread: Babe Ruth?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 PM

Default Response

Fellas:
I just went through the thread and I apologize for not weighing in earlier. Here are some facts surrounding this:

There is a back story to this piece that also needs to be told. The ticket came from a gentleman in the Detroit, MI area who was gifted the ticket from a woman who attended the game with her father at Navin Field. Following that game, her and her father were at The Fisher Building in Detroit where Babe Ruth was doing a radio interview and the woman was sitting next to Ruth's wife. They got to talking and the woman asked if Ruth would sign the ticket stub from the game that she attended where he hit his 700th home run. He obliged the request. The woman held the ticket until 1992, where she gave it to our consignor, as a gift.

Both the ticket and the autograph were authenticated prior to it being encapsulated by JSA and SGC (independent of each other).

Today, James Spence was at our offices doing an authentication. I had Bill Huggins pull the ticket and show it to him again, for a second opinion, along with the concerns set forth. After a thorough examination with loop and his exemplar file, Jimmy was again 100% certain that his original opinion was correct - this is an authentic Ruth.

We also showed it to SGC's ticket authenticator again, who also was 100% sure of his original opinion of the authenticity of the ticket stub.

I also personally spoke to the consignor again today, just to verify the facts of the story. The consignor is NOT in our hobby and is not a collector of sports memorabilia - just a baseball fan who lived near this lady and prior to her passing, she gave it to him. He has also offered to speak to anyone who would like any more details of the story. If you would like his name and number, email me privately, and I will get you the contact information.

Thanks
Josh Wulkan
Vice President
Huggins and Scott Auctions
1-866-462-2273
josh@hugginsandscott.com