View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
That's simply your opinion. If Topps was calling every single Robert a form of "Bob" on their cards, why wouldn't they do the same thing with Roberto Clemente? Especially since there weren't many (if any?) Robertos around the league. Tony Oliva's real name is Antonio, I believe. Is it racist that Topps called him Tony? Or is it just simply the way things are?? Anthony or Antonio becomes Tony in baseball shorthand. Roberto becomes Bob. Nothing nefarious, methinks.
Show me your Topps cards of John Marichal, Roland Cepeda, Rich Carty, Lou Aparicio or Tiant, Joe Pagan or Cardinal, etc. Topps made an error on his card in 1957 and it took until 1970 to correct it despite Clemente publicly stating his name is Roberto not Bob. They were also incorrect everytime they listed his name as Roberto Walker Clemente, the same as the Hall of Fame. His name is Roberto Enrique Clemente Walker. Over time people learn and correct their mistakes.

I don't know that anyone has said Topps was racist, there is no evidence of it or it not just being a mistake. However, there definitely were people who were racists that used Bob to try to get under Clemente's skin. Just like articles that were clearly racist making fun of his accent. Or people who wouldn't let him eat with his teammates, stay in the same hotel, etc. We shouldn't try to rewrite history to cover up our mistakes.