View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 07:39 AM

I think it was targeted at adults, but the kids wanted the cards. Companies had been using cards to promote cigarettes for years (Old Judge, Allen & Ginter, etc.) without this problem, or at least to this degree. My impression has always been that baseball in the 19th century wasn't that popular. It was dominated by players gambling and drinking heavily. It had a very negative public image. By 1909, the game was "cleaning" itself up and was much more popular with the public in general and kids specifically. Parents would have been more accepting of their children following the game. Local players would be looked up to as well as the legends, Wagner and Cobb. So, when these cards were released, it was natural for kids to chase cards of their heroes.

Also, remember at this time we saw a bunch of candy card sets released. I think that the candy manufacturers saw that kids were chasing after t206 baseball cards and saw a new market. The followed ATC's lead and started issuing cards with their products. If t206 was targeting kids, then why hadn't candy manufacturers recognized this market and exploited it? I think the explosion of t206 was something that took everyone by surprise. Like any other fad or new hobby, it comes out of no where. t206 is the beginning of the baseball card collecting hobby that we have today.

Last edited by rats60; 01-13-2019 at 07:46 AM.