View Single Post
Old 11-15-2003, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Default Can anyone prove this is a "proof" ?

Posted By: Hankron

I don't know about old times. But in modern times, the card companies would accidentally insert blank backed cards into packs. I've pulled one (Oscar Gamble) and I'm sure others here have as well.

Also, if you've ever seen a progression proof set (color tests of the cards), the final card is often exactly the same as the regular card except with a blank back.

Without knowin the history of the card, it is practically impossible to tell the difference between a from the pack blank back and one of these final progression proofs.

Lastly, I've owned uncut blank front (yes, front) sheets (still have a pile of them in my basement, acting as a table top for other things), and I have cut them down. Mind you, I cut them down to more palatable panels and not singles. And my scissors and papercutter cuttting would not be mistaken for factory cuts (My cutting is only slightly better than my spelling). And, as I have way too much time on my hands, I have invisiably marked all the panels to help identify future skulldugery.

From a pesonal standpoint, I think there is way to significance given to proofs in the trading card hobby. I like proofs and all, think they're neat and do give a premium to proofs (especially ones that are clearly identified as proofs, with strong history). But given the exact same card (handcut, blank backed), if it's called a 'proof' the hobby treats it like royalty, and if it's called a 'cut from sign' or 'scrap' it's treated like a dog terd.

In the end, if one can't tell if it's a proof or a scrap or a cut from sign, it's still the same thing in your hand and the owner shouldn't pull a muscle because no one can tell him whether or not it's a proof.