View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Default Gehrig '33: Real? [With Back of Card Included]

Posted By: Glenn

Please don't interpret this as an implication that I think the screwdown card is real (I do not), but I think what has been interpreted as rounding on the corners of the blue area is partially an optical illusion and partially due to general corner wear. If you place a straightedge along the left side of the screwdown card you'll see that there is no white showing to indicate that the upper-left corner of the blue area itself was ever rounded. If you do the same along the right side, there is some white showing in the upper-right corner, but this is more likely paper loss from advanced corner wear than a different color on the original surface of the card. I believe, as almost everyone else seems to, that the card is a counterfeit, but I don't think when it was originally printed (the card in the screwdown case I mean), there was any rounding of the blue area.

You can compare it to this example that just ended on ebay, and you'll see as much of the same effect on the known authentic card.

Just wanted to defend those who have low-grade examples of the real deal.

edited to add: looks like Frank beat me to the punch