View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 07:44 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

I think some people's expectations of paper conservators are out of line with reality. I know some are better than others and I know some pieces come out better than others, but they're not magicians. For this piece, I think the paper addition looks great from the front, and the front matters more. I agree it's obvious from the back, but the best conservator in the world wouldn't be able to get a perfect match on paper that has been unevenly yellowing for over a century.

I am not against conserving a peice that legitimately needs it. That said, I really disagree that this needed it in the first place. The small chunks that were missing were marginal and the image was fully intact. I actually just overall like the poster better in it's previous state, as I equate that type of light, superficial damage to the story and history of the piece. I also agree that, and maybe it's just the scanner settings, the poster looks cleaner before it was "cleaned". To me, personally, it was worth more before. Now I wouldn't want it at all.

Last edited by conor912; 08-18-2017 at 07:45 AM.