View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 08:45 AM

Default Approaching the 1952 Topps Set

I have been thinking and discussing a lot about doing a baseball set (I've mostly done football vintage) and trying to figure out what I want to do. The truth is...the 1952 Topps set has always been first in my mind (and everyone else). My original plan was a 57 or newer set...something I could do fairly quickly and put in an album, but the more I think about it the more that seems less and less gratifying. Why not do something worthwhile?

The more I think, the more I think about 1952. The truth is, I think I can do it. I'm only 28 and I'm a year into my career as a dentist...so I have a career of good income potential ahead of me. Why not take it slow and build a 1952 set? Frankly, until it comes to the high numbers and big names I can do it as a side project for a while.

The way I figure it, I can focus in the PSA 4-5 range and buy one card at a time. Probably start with the low numbers (cheaper and right now since I'm so early in my career my disposable income is lower) and work my way up. I'd probably just do a basic set too...probably focusing on red backs (I think they look nicer). One of my big focuses will be on centering and overall eye appeal.

A couple questions though. I feel that if I am going to do this...invest all the time and money into this project that each card should be graded. What do you think about that?

Also, my understanding is that the first 80 cards came in both red and black back variety. Is that the case? It seems, just looking at the sales prices that the black backs tend to command a little more of a premium. Is that accurate or am I over analyzing?

Finally, in the PSA 4-5 range what should a graded low number common with good centering sell for?

Last edited by CamaroDMD; 05-29-2013 at 08:46 AM.