View Single Post
Old 02-29-2020, 01:53 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
Totally off topic, but I'm always looking for new insight. I'm trying to invest some of my money into the stock market, and I have a feeling that the best insertion time is still not now. I have a feeling like most others will say, wait until the coronavirus is under control/not promoting as much fear in the media.

With that established, do you guys have any suggestions on some good buying opportunities when premium stocks are at a low. I'm thinking Microsoft, Starbucks and still feeling really optimistic about Uber, maybe Carnival too (after virus disruptions are over).

Obviously I'm going to do my due diligence, but like I said, I enjoy hearing other people's thoughts. Thanks!

Wazoo
You are a young guy, right? With decades for your money to grow, you are overthinking this. Buy a broad index (Vanguard's Total Stock Market Index and Total International Stock Market Index, as examples) and don't touch it. Over the course of several decades, what happens in the short term will be just a blip.

As for waiting until the virus is "under control" and less fear in the media, one of Warren Buffett's most famous axioms is "Be greedy when others are fearful and fearful when others are greedy."

Catching the absolute bottom of a bear market is impossible to predict, even for the best money managers.

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-29-2020 at 02:04 PM.