View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 08:55 PM

Mark: I'm thrilled you enjoyed the site. Thanks for the kind words.

Rob: I feel you on Keezer Mfg. Co. They're certainly on my radar and I promise to cover them soon.

So, it's a funny thing that you mention ABC Emblem & Pennant Co. Until two weeks ago I had never heard of them. Then I discovered and promptly checked out other Rob's website (feltfootball.com). Wow ... what a gallery of pennant images! And this Los Angeles Rams pennant from the 1950s caught my eye....

RamsPennantABC.jpg

If you look below the image of the ram, you see the initials "abc". Initially, I thought this must be a concessionaire's mark. But I researched California corporations and found a pennant maker: ABC Emblem & Pennant Co. So I figured this had to be their work; and their maker's mark.

According to a 1937 San Francisco Chamber of Commerce Directory, they were in business in the 1930s and then located at 14 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco, CA. According to the California Secretary of State's corporate registry, they were still in business somewhere in California as of 1967. That's where the trail went cold for me.

Apparently they moved to 1251 Market St., San Francisco by the late 1950s.

Your Giants pennant appears to be from 1958 or so. I can't imagine it being much newer, can you? Additionally, I've never seen the LA Dodgers equivalent of it, or any other sports team. Actually, I can't recall too many sewn letter pennants for any MLB team from this era. And, by the late 1950s, I can't think of any pennant manufacturers making MLB pennants that still used sewn labels. I take it this is a rare Giants pennant?? It certainly defies conventional norms of the day, doesn't it?

I'd be curious if anyone else has ever seen either your label, or the above "abc" mark, on other pennants? I'd be surprised if this was the only NFL pennant they made.