View Single Post
Old 12-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Kev1n @1les

Ricky Henderson was my favorite player as a kid. With that being said, his power numbers peaked in his early '90 A's years. He was jacked and he stole a lot of bases which made his body take a beating. If Bagwell is out because he played with Camanetti, Clemens and Pettite, I am not sure how Henderson is not looked on with curiosity playing with Conseco and McGwire while having his best power numbers.

Griffey was a spindly guy who hit 50+ homers several times in the height of the steroid era and then his body broke down. I know that he had a nice smile and everyone liked his '89 UD card, but, I am always amazed at how he is somehow kept out of the conversation because people liked him.

Ripken played 2600+ consecutive games and hit with power in the heart of the steroid era. However, he did not have Bacne and people thought he was nice, therefore, he is innocent in court of public opinion...

I guess I am just saying that I am fatigued with how we and the writers have randomly decided who was guilty and who wasn't. I am not saying that the above are guilty - I am just saying that someone could probably build a case - but they won't because we "like" them.

Ortiz has proverbial blood on his hands - guilty explicitly - and then implicitly with his revival during the '13 WS run when he turned back the hands of father time. Yet, he is a fun loving and a Red Sock, so somehow, he will defy the odds and get into the hall in an era where writers decide by their gut instict and eye test who is guilty and who is innocent.

In my opinion - for what little it is worth - more were guilty than innocent during the era. The best of the era were Bonds and Clemens. Get them in and then let the rest get in relative to the best hitter and pitcher of the era... - both were A'holes and hard to like - but they could play ball.

OK, let the beatings begin....

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set