View Single Post
Old 09-08-2022, 11:28 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
That is tax avoidance, and those people could get in trouble. Also, it would make sense if the vault was required to collect and pay over state taxes for items removed from a vault and sent to a tax state within X months of receipt. I don’t know if such a law/requirement exists.
We've discussed this before. To my knowledge no state has a period of time in their sales and use tax laws for this specific situation. However, I had mentioned once before how California has a specific 1 year threshold for vehicles brought into California. Bought it less than a year before bringing it into CA and you owe CA the difference between the sales tax you would have paid them had you originally bought the vehicle in CA, less whatever sales tax you did pay to another state when you bought it. Own the vehicle a year or more before bringing it into CA, and CA gets no sales/use tax.

So the concept of moving assets you own from one state to another doesn't necessarily and/or automatically trigger sales/use tax being owed to the state you're moving them into. If you leave cards in a vault for a reasonable period of time before taking them out and to your home, your resident state will likely not come looking for sales/use tax on those cards. We just haven't had this issue come up in any courts yet, to my knowledge, nor had any state spell out in their statutes how long you'd have to leave the cards in a vault for before you could then safely bring them home without any sales/use tax being due your resident state. At least not yet.