View Single Post
Old 11-04-2016, 09:12 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Depends on the issue; many O-Pee-Chee cards were cut direct from the factory with a rough cut because of their machinery. Those are normally not discounted for being rough cut, and in fact, are looked at positively since they couldn't be trimmed. PSA will most likely grade non-rough OPCs from sets that had that as the overarching production process and consider them altered even if they meet the minimum size for the issue.

That's why you'll see Gretzky 1979 OPCs from uncut sheets go to Beckett to be graded, since they grade cards cut recently from sheets. Having a rough cut proves (effectively) that it was cut at the time the card was produced and inserted into packs.
I understand what you are saying, especially when it comes to issues that are mostly roughly cut. But let's take 1974 Topps for example. You can find quite a few of these cards with rough cuts, yet the same cards with sharp cuts. It does seem inconsistent to me that PSA (or others) would notate a card as OC but not as RC (rough cut), as they are both due to poor QC during the cutting of the card. Just my 2 cents, which don't amount to a hill of beans...