Thread: On the easel...
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Joss died of tubercular meningitis. This means he had tuberculosis for a period of time prior to it moving to his central nervous system. In the past, TB was called consumption by the general public. This is because the body's resources are "consumed" by the illness. It could have easily caused a healthy person to waste away. Unfortunately, Joss wasn't anywhere near healthy. He also suffered from malaria during this time period. Even with modern medicine, recovery from either of these things is not assured. Recovery then was about luck.
I'm sure this is all part of why he looks like that

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
As covered in Scott Longert's excellent book, Addie Joss King of Pitchers (1998), I would add to Mark's excellent research that Addie Joss and George Mullin co-owned a billiard parlor in downtown Toledo, OH together during this same time period.

Undoubtedly, there was heavy smoking, drinking and late nights going on in this establishment, knowing the time period. It's only an assumption, but I've wondered if these conditions caused the lung infection that ultimately led to Addie's early demise...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-01-2014 at 05:34 AM.