View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Todd Schultz

I will answer that but first let me point out that when a team wants to send a message as was the case with the Diamondbacks to Pittsburgh, it will often wait for an appropriate time rather than just jump at the first opportunity. It has been this way forever. Frank Robinson used to hold grudges for years. Zach Greinke hit Carlos Quentin early last year and watched him charge the mound–seems the two have been feuding for years.

Here the message was sent in a way that was least damaging to the game itself, which is how it should be and how it has often been handled over the years. Pittsburgh was ahead 5-1 with runners on second and third, no outs, and their best hitter at bat. The game was arguably still within reach, although it was the 9th inning. The baseball play in that situation, or certainly one of them, is to give McCutchen the open base to set up a double play or at least a force at any base. Had they intentionally walked him for that purpose no one would have been surprised. Still, that’s another potential run on base, so it has its downside. Thus, what do you do and what have you seen done hundreds of times every season? You pitch around him and hope he swings at a bad pitch or two and gets himself out. Thus the slider down and away, but McCutchen didn’t bite. Now the count is 2-0– a hitter's count to a great hitter. How many times have you seen the pitcher/catcher just give up at that point and concede the intentional walk? Here I can almost guarantee you at that point the decision was made that what the hell, we’re putting him on anyway, let’s just drill him and get our message across at the same time.

The same thing happened in June with Ryan Braun and Milwaukee, although the score was closer and it was the 7th inning. Same baserunner situation, no outs and a #3 hitter at bat. Count went 1-0 and then instead of walking Braun they drilled him. Next guy hit a grand slam and Arizona lost. Idiot media claimed that Gibby let a grudge get in the way of the team’s chances, but it would have made absolutely no difference had he walked Braun instead- it was the percentage baseball move to put him on– and he got to get his message across as well while adding no risk to his team's chances. Those are the two incidents that everyone uses to claim the Dbacks are dirty, etc.

It is so ridiculous to claim that it might have been all right had McCutchen just been hit right away. Really? Hit him in the top of the first and it would not have hurt as much? Can you imagine if he left the game in the first and the Pirates lost a close one, with their best hitter deprived of 4 ABs? How the Dbacks would then be accused of having to play dirty to win?

And as far as drilling him in the back, check video of almost any beanball and see where they aim and where it lands– the back is considered one of the “safest” places, after the butt, which Delgado’s pitch didn’t miss by that much. It used to be the ribs, but these guys throw so hard now that broken rather than bruised ribs are too strong a possibility.

I along with everyone in AZ is sorry McCutchen is injured, but I understand the decisions that were made. They are made pretty much every week by one team or another, and Arizona is no different and certainly not so villainous as they are made out to be.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 08-06-2014 at 10:23 AM.