View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
With his loss last night, Kershaw's post season stat line is now 1-6, 4.99. Yeah, we know, small sample size and all that.
Well, he got the loss last night, yes. But he didn't pitch poorly, either. 6 2/3 IP, 3 earned runs, 4 hits, 4 walks (that's atypical for him), 11 Ks. He made a mistake for a home run in the fourth, and gave up a hit and a couple walks in the 7th that led to the bases loaded with two outs when he was pulled. But the relief pitcher that came in fresh could have gotten one out instead of giving up a two run single.

And how many runs did the Dodgers score in support of Kershaw? One. Kershaw pitched well enough to win, but again, his team did nothing to help him. That's been a recurring theme in Los Angeles this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Ugh. Enough with the saber metrics.....Can't ANYTHING be simple anymore? Pitcher X pitched on Tuesdays, pitcher Y on Thursday, but during the day in this park that had renovations that moved the fences in, no moved out, that that that that.....But wait! It was CLOUDY that day!!!! Good Lord. I agree with a previous poster, my fingers hurt looking at the amount of time and typing that has been done on some of the comments in this thread. Not to mention my head hurting trying to digest some of this stuff. Pitchers can't help where they pitch, when they pitch, and against who they pitch against. Just like hitters. They play where they play, and against who they play against. You can't help it, nor penalize players for it ( or reward players for the opposite ).
Why does it bother you so much? Nobody is forcing you to read my posts.

As far as "pitchers not being able to help where they pitch", that goes without saying. However, that statement doesn't mean the conclusions arrived at from in-depth research are without merit. If one pitcher has a 4.00 ERA, and another has a 3.00 ERA, without context, the assumption otherwise may be that the pitcher with the lower ERA was better. But when you determine that the pitcher with the 4.00 ERA started half his games at Coors Field, and was missing his Gold Glove shortstop for the whole season, while the pitcher with the 3.00 ERA started half his games at Petco, simple assumptions prove inaccurate.

Statistical analysis has advanced quite a bit in the last few decades. If you prefer to employ old fashioned methods, more power to you. But don't belittle those who choose to go a little deeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
While we are sending out flowers to those who have suffered for lack of support...let us send a special arrangement to one Shelby Miller, who led the majors in losses, but probably had more 'quality starts' than the average pitcher with a winning record...reminds me of Nolan Ryan's 1987 nightmare (8-16, but led league in both strikeouts and ERA)
I had Shelby Miller on my fantasy team for most of the year, and I couldn't believe his luck. He had an outstanding season, but I imagine he felt like he was all alone out there at times.

Since this is a baseball card forum, here's my Miller rookie.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 10-10-2015 at 10:51 PM.