View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegsFan View Post
For example, some shop owners today, will actually admit that in 89, they knew which upper deck pack would have the griffey.
I don't remember this with the Griffey but this definitely was the case with the UD Jordan baseball card a few years later. I watched a guy pull the exact pack out of multiple boxes. If it was a fresh box, the pack with the Jordan was in the same spot every time. Everyone knew about the sequencing within packs but that was the first time I saw the foil packs cheated by location within the box. I bought very little of those cards because I always assumed an open box had been searched.

To the OP, I've had that happen to me as well and it's frustrating, even if it was cheap. A few years back I got a deal on 2 boxes from each of the three 92 Stadium Club series. I loved those back in the day so I thought I'd build the set for fun. The 4 boxes from Series 1 and 2 were great. Every card in the 2 Series 3 boxes had a smashed upper left corner. No damage on the boxes. I still never finished that Series 3 set!