View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
Lets see your favorite football card, or if you don't have a scan tell us the card. If you have more than one, show them all. For me it's the 1950 Bowman Sammy Baugh.

Beautiful card, Mike! I'll have to think long and hard about my favorite. That's a tough one.

A quick story about the '50 Baugh. When I was a kid in the 70's and started collecting football cards, I used to go with a buddy to a local card shop and a local flea market where we discovered vintage football cards existed ... i.e. pre 1970 cards. I would try to pick up a card of a player I'd read about in a book (ideally their rookie card) every time we went but was constrained by having a kid budget so often had to pass. I did pick up a 1950 Bowman Dante Lavelli and 1951 Emlen Tunnell that I still have. Most of the others were late 50's / early 60's Topps and Philly cards.

One weekend I stopped by the flea market and a card dealer had a 1950 Bowman Sammy Baugh. I'd never seen it before and loved the color! He wanted $10 for it and I only had $8 in my pocket. He wouldn't budge on the price so I left without it. The next weekend when I went back, it was gone. Always haunted me that I didn't get that card as a kid so it was one I was after first when I started putting together the 1950s Bowman sets 5-6 years ago.

Love that card.

jeff

jeff