View Single Post
Old 06-18-2016, 08:19 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I'm surprised you've never read anything negative about SGC grading. You must have missed a lot of threads on this board, including the one from the JustCollectVP last week.

PSA is like Microsoft Windows. Serves 90% of the population, so it gets 99% of the fraudsters. BGS is more like Apple OS (hipper modern crowd), and SGC more like UNIX (outdated). The PSA Set Registry is the best thing about them. It got me to invest $2K in grading fees on a couple really nice vintage sets (T51 Master and T56). When I liquidated my lower grade duplicates last month on eBay, I probably got $1500 on $200 in raw cards and $600 in grading fees.
John...I easily read 2/3rds of the threads here on this page and the main page (that's about it except the B/S/T boards) and no, I have never seen any legit issue's on SGC, especially the only reason I deem any value on graded cards - Authentic. I just searched the JustCollectVP thread you mentioned, went through almost 3 pages, and um...well...that is exactly the kind of threads that I have zero interest in, ie, the business aspect and all that creepiness (no offense), so if there was some SGC mentioned I didn't get that far. Set Registry's quite honestly are of zero interest as well, competing with folks with my collection isn't my cup of tea (I don't compete my cars either, so that is not a card thing) but I do respect those who want to. Who am I to say how to collect or what to collect. That is the beauty of any hobby, the more diverse and different angles a hobby has the healthier it is. Also, considering I am not a seller, I don't care about slab resale. I would love a link to any thread where there were fake SGC slabs. The logic that since PSA is the most popular (no denying that), means they get the most fraud, is only more argument not to use them for my purposes. Different strokes, different folks.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03