View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Scott,

There are not too many flatbed scanners being made anymore designed for film. I have an old Microtek pro film scanner which can do flatbed scans up to 8x10 negatives, including glass. I would suggest calling B&H Photo in NYC as they may be able to find this type for under $400.00. Most of the popular scanners now are set up to scan 35mm negs, transparencies (slides) and medium format of regular film but not glass. I was at a photo expo in NYC last month where I saw a scanner that will handle glass, but it was $1800.00.

You could also pick up a copy of Shutterbug magazine and look at the ads in the back for lab services. You may find one that can do glass. I know of one in Belmont, MA that could probably handle them, but you may be able to find one closer to home.
Thanks. I have a great scanner (Canon 9000F) that does everything BUT large format glass negatives, so I understand what you are saying. I thought for sure I could make the Canon work, but anyone who has ever gone through this will understand the frustration and the impossibility of the task.

I do not collect glass negatives or negatives of any type. I purchased these five because I collect billiard memorabilia, especially if it is related to Willie Hoppe. I had never seen these particular images (nor has anyone else), so I sprung for them at auction about five years ago, and still do not know what the other three look like quality-wise. They were taken in a natural pool room environment (as opposed to professional staged shots or publicity photos), so they are especially appealing to me. I figured I could get some huge prints of the better ones for my pool room, but gave up and put them on ebay.

Now I will remove them and resume the project.