Thread: Depressing
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 08:43 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I will also echo Sam's sentiment from a previous post in that I would love to buy the cards of modern players, but just hate that each guy has 1,000 rookies IN DIFFERING YEARS. There are too many to choose from. I don't want to just buy his 472nd "best" rookie, but I also don't want to spend 5-figures on one of his top 5 rookies. I will spend it on Ruth or Cobb because the cards are awesome and their status as immortals is already secured.
In all fairness the PreWar "rookie" space is not as cut and dry as you make it seem, relative to modern. Look at the debate that swirls around Ty Cobb or Babe Ruth and what their "rookie" card is. When I first ventured into PreWar I found it disorganized, relative to what I saw as the direct, clear-cut Post War space. I took the time to wade in and learn, from reading and fellow collectors, and was soon able to select cards I wanted. I am sure anyone could do the same for modern, if they so choose. I have far too much fun watching baseball and rooting for certain players to abstain from collecting the cards of theirs which I find awesome, just because they may not achieve immortal status. Their status is already secured with me, based on the fun I have in the present watching, rooting, and collecting. That is why, when I look at my cards, I smile at the Gooden, Strawberry, Mattingly, and Bo Jacksons the same way I smile at the Ruths and Cobbs.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-15-2018 at 08:54 AM.