View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Steve Birmingham

Stamp certificates will state things like that with no problems. such as-

"US # 163P4 fraudlently perforated to appear as #163 it is genuine"

I actually own that exact item, but have not sent it in for a certificate. If I did, that's pretty much exactly what the cert would say. They also list faults like short perforations, minor creases etc. The stamp IS a genuine 163P4, and is collectable as a proof.

163P4 is a plate proof on india paper, Catalog value $20 #163 is the issued stamp catalog value $2750.

Outright forgeries are identified as such on the certs too.
Only on rare cases do you see a cert stating something like "we render no opinion at this time" Meaning 3 or more experts in that specialty have all seen it and either can't agree or aren't certain as to just what the item is.
(And those items can be VERY exciting. A bit of research to prove what it is can turn a bit of junk into a lot of money) ....Someday, someday.....

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Now that's a funny flip!! I have always thought they should put FAKE!! on the flip of these. I wonder if there is some legal liability in doing so? This isn't the first, second or third time this has happened or been discussed. Has anyone asked PSA to change their wording, I wonder?