View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
So how would you classify these 1961 Bobby Bolin cards below? The first one has a bottom border bleed that fills in the "P" in Pitcher.

Next is Bolin with the bottom edge stray black line. Are these noteworthy variations or print defects?
Based on the definitions I use it would depend on the print line. If the print line is determined to be a cut line found on every sheet the cards were printed on I would call them miscuts and they would be anomalies. If the print lines were designer errors that found their way on early runs I would call them variations because they were "fixed". As for the P that is filled in with black ink that is definitely an anomaly in my eyes. Cool finds none the less. Here are some from the '63 set that I'm not sure where to categorize. Miscuts, yes, but not all the miscuts of these cards have the same appearance. I'm leaning towards just calling them miscut anomalies because if I start trying to categorize a card based on something that was never intended to be viewed (off of the design area) then I may really have issues.

Here is the correct, the miscut with a yellow bar, and a miscut with a white bar

Here is a similar scenario with the Fairly card

Here are definite unlisted variations, which depict a cropped image of Zimmer. Note the number of stripes on his uniform and the placement of the bat from the inset image on Zimmer's turtleneck and his elbows on the inset image.

Wasn't this a thread about '61 Topps Greenies? How'd I end up in 1963? sorry 'bout that!

Last edited by 4reals; 06-09-2013 at 01:14 PM.