View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 11:53 AM
John

Default Cards you didn’t realize were as cool as they are!!! (Football edition)

I completely stole this idea from the main board figuring they wouldn't want to see football cards. Thank you for the idea luciobar1980.

The Feathers card I originally thought was cool because I'm a bit of a running backs collector and what's the chance there would be a contemporary rookie card of the first official 1,000 yard rusher? Looking at the card more closely, the background reminded me of a building on the University of Pittsburgh campus (which didn't make sense) so I opened up the question to net54 and someone posted that such a building exists on the University of Chicago campus. Of course it could just be a background the artist made up, but I like thinking of it as a real building.

There is no Mel Hein card in the Chicle set or is there? Who is that guy lined up at blocking back in Del Isola's card? Thanks to Rev. Mike Moran for catching this one.

Who's that in the background of my card? It's me. Notice on the Johnsos card, there is a player wearing a #24 Navy Bears jersey in the background. Guess who wore #24 for the Bears?

I better stop at 4 or I will wind up posting the entire set. This is one I have to eat crow on. It originally bothered me that there was a Rockne card. It made no sense. What does he have to do with the NFL? Why not Halas? etc., etc. But now I love it. If they really wanted a player to represent the NFL's origins in the first NFL set, then sure Thorpe is kind of obvious. But by what I think is probably dumb luck and not genius, in Rockne, Chicle included a player who played in some of those same early pre-NFL games that led to the establishment of the league that Thorpe did. In the biggest game of Thorpe's first season ('15) it was Knute Rockne who lined up at end for the Massillon Tigers against Thorpe's Canton Bulldogs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23_Feathers_Front_5_5_1.jpg (71.4 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg 26_Dell_Isola_Front_6.jpg (76.1 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg 35_Johnsos_Front_3.jpg (76.1 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg 9_Rockne_Front.jpg (71.4 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 06-19-2018 at 02:38 PM.