View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

I've become more and more convinced that Football is a sport that really requires a team effort. And one that goes all the way to the top.

Hate the Pats if you want, many do. But they have an organization that's consistent from the top down. And one in which the player might not matter a whole lot.
When you're calling plays based on the individuals skills rather than forcing them to match the play more plays become high percentage.
Think about it, they went 11-5 with a backup who's been very average on another team. No playoffs that year, only because someone else had a better year.

I don't think Romo is the problem.

I think the problem starts with JJ and runs down from there.
The coach isn't confident in support from the owner.
So he pushes for results.
But instead of going with the guys who can get it done he goes with the guys who are paid the most. Probably because of demands from the owner.

Can you imagine a Cowboys coach going for it on 4th down on their own side of the field late in a game against Peyton Manning?
Or deliberately allowing a go ahead touchdown to preserve some clock time?
Now can you imagine a Cowboys coach doing that and keeping his job?
Or actually getting support from the owner for those decisions?
Nope, I don't see it. Maybe not on any other team either, although it's easier to imagine on successful teams. (Giants maybe?)

Let a coach get Romo into plays designed around his strengths, and give him the freedom and support to bench underperforming malcontents or cut/trade them and I think you'll see much better results.

Steve B