View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Jackson---do you think the 3d one is a "creation" after the fact....like some of the Campos black and partial black stars. It would seem if Topps made that change to the printing process it would not be the rarest of the 3
I know that I pulled the copy shown on my blog from a $0.99 priced cello box. I remember seeing the outlined flag tip version had a stray bit of black ink over his cap as well. I opened numerous $0.99 cellos after finding it and never found another. However, a copy popped up a while ago on ebay that did not have that stray black ink on his cap.

It could've been some kind of damage to the plate early on and Topps tried the pink flag tip/brown hand tip versions as "fixes.". It could be something Topps decided to correct late in the run...but it was, no doubt, printed on the copy I pulled.

Semi off-topic...If you are familiar with the Storm Davis variation (can be found with registration symbol above Topps logo on front) and you have a 1991 Tiffany set, you'll find a batch of cards also have the registration symbol above the Topps logo, including Storm Davis. It's possible that other 1991 Topps cards come in this variation as well.