View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 09:04 AM
Bill par.sons

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold View Post
Hello all,
After a 30+ year slog, I recently finished my 1967 set. I started out in the early 80's with one card, #600 Brooks Robinson (not sure how it was just that card), and then saw an article in BHN about how nice the set was, so I decided to work on it.

I bought some common lots, made some trades through the mail, and bought a few at local shows, but it was very slow going. I got the Mantle about a year and a half ago to fill out 1 - 533, but still only had a few of the high numbers. I picked up a few here and there, but it seemed like I was never going to make it.

Then, a few tremendous members here helped me out big time! I need to thank:
Robert (rsdill2) - 3 cards
Pat (mintacular) - 4 cards
Todd (bbcard1) - 29 cards

Long story short, this summer, I found myself needing just one card. You guessed it, Mr. Seaver. Well, after losing tons of auctions, and striking out on the BST, lady luck finally looked my way.

Attachment 325806

It was a great feeling to get that package and finally put this one to bed.

I just want to say, this board, and it's members are great. The wealth of information that I found on here regarding the high numbers in this set was a tremendous help.
Well done. When I got back in the hobby after college, first set I wanted to collect. This was early 80's. Had quite a few of these as a kid in mass. but never the high numbers. Now my thoughts on this set are: 1) 1-533 are not hard to find. 2) that 2x sp group of 11 or 13 cards of which seaver is 1 is very tough in high grade. 3) 13 high's are real easy. and 4) great set and backs with full stats. Enjoy again. Favorite cards from this set: 1) 580 colavito, 2) 528 petrocelli, 3) yaz. wished they would have been more creative with the mantle card.

Last edited by BillP; 08-15-2018 at 09:05 AM.