View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Murr the Blurr

The Canastota weekend was terrific. Once again, I had the honor of attending all the festivities with George Chuvalo, who is one of the most popular "oldtimers" to make the annual trek. George sat between Tyson and Leon Spinks at the head table for Saturday night's banquet, and had a long talk with Iron Mike. After riding in the convertible with Chuvalo for Sunday's parade through Canastota, I had the opportunity to meet and chat briefly with Tyson at the post-parade luncheon, prior to the formal induction ceremony. He was pretty much kept shielded from the throng by a phalanx of state troopers, but did sign a few autographs and posed for some photos. Stallone was accessible at the banquet, and got a huge ovation at the induction ceremony when he yelled: "Yo, Adrian! I did it! The Saturday memorabilia show was great, as always, and I was able to pick up a nice Luther McCarty cabinet and a vintage Marciano advertising piece, along with some Chuvalo-Ali wirephotos. All in all, a great experience ... as usual.