View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Default June Pickups - 3rd List

Posted By: steve f

I wasn't going to post this, because I thought your collections are to private and highly valuable. The bride convinced me otherwise...

On a recent false alarm response to our local nursing home. I had met a nice elderly fella who was a severe baseball (Sox) fan. We got to talking some and he had seen some terrific games and HOF's at Fenway in his day. I then got the idea of putting on an albeit makeshift vintage and 70-80's card show. The Rec. Dir. placed the 'hour long" event on the bulletin board several weeks prior.

I recuited the missus to assist on setting up and she was needed to pass out some vintage inexpensive old cards for the residents to handle. Needless to say, the event was a huge success and went on longer than we had expected. At the end, I handed out 1931 W517 reprints to those in attendance, that another eBay seller was kind enough to donate (In spite of informing them that they were replicas, one man repeatedly asked, "How much is this Gehrig worth?")

Several of those that were "with it" and didn't doze- off had volunteered much info on teams and players long past. How they had met Bobby Doerr and Dom DiMag saw the great Joe D and Ted Williams battle it out. The excitement was palpable. I highly recommend it, if not for anything else, for the laughs.

So, if you can find an hour or two, please consider this visit. It really was fun and I got a free Coke!