View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 09:26 PM
C@rl P@rk

Default Cy Young and MVP Rooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Wow, that's not a cheap bunch of guys to collect! How far along are you?

The closest to subjective might be the 1955 NL MVP race. Campy barely beat the Duke, but I recall there was a ballot that presumably by accident listed Campy twice and Snider not at all. Under the quite plausible assumption that the voter meant Snider one of the times but just goofed, Snider would have won.
Definitely not a cheap group for sure!

MVP controversy aside, imagine rooting for a team like the 1955 Dodgers.. How many HOFers on that squad? Love your collection of '56 Topps Dodgers you posted recently.

As far as my MVP/Cy Young rookie project, it actually had morphed from a couple of other sub-collections I had going - the classic post-war HOF rookies set and then just a rookie card collection I had of future HOFers/perennial All-Stars and/or players I loved growing up (like Garvey and Doug Drabek). From there it was fairly cheap to fill in guys like Willie Hernandez, Jeff Burroughs, Steve Stone, Mike Flanagan, etc in high grade. The most frustrating part has been the modern world...with all of the "pre-rookies" and the autograph versions, chromium stock variations, refractors, etc, etc., it can all be a bit overwhelming. I'd still like to know what David Price's true rookie card is....and I almost had a nervous breakdown figuring out what Justin Verlander rookie to get (I settled on the 2005 Topps Autograph). It's just further reinforced how much more enjoyable it is to collect vintage.

To answer your question, for the Cy Young set I am down to Don Newcombe - 1950 Bowman (anyone selling???)...For MVP Post-1950, Mr Newcombe is on that list as well...along with the 1952 Topps Dick Groat, 1985 Donruss Terry Pendelton (easy to find but looking for a perfect one), and a 1999 Bowman Chrome Josh Hamilton. Getting close!

Last edited by KingFisk; 11-27-2015 at 09:27 PM.