View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 03:30 PM
Al Jurgela

Default Very good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
First of all, nobody on planet earth knows who G.O. Smith was (except for Al Jurgela). To make my point, I did a search on eBay and I see a few G.O. Smith cards up from the same seller, who is probably Al Jurgela! LOL

Now when PSA did the Mount Rushmore thing, they did include modern cards as well. For example, they selected the 1979 O-Pee-Chee Wayne Gretzky RC for their hockey list. So I decided to do the same thing. Here is my choice below:
This is absolutely a legitimate Mt. Rushmore (especially if the Messi and Ronaldo are PSA 10s)!

My post here was not really about just the top 4 cards because there are literally hundreds of players over the past century in the world's most played game! And there are a number of people who do know who GO Smith was - especially in the UK. It is kindof like pretty much everyone knows who Mickey Mantle was, but what about Pop Lloyd or Oscar Charleston? The "average" fan probably does not know about those guys, but Bill James catalogs them as top 30 all time players (#4 for Charleston, I believe).

When you calculate scarcity, there are some pretty amazing choices to be had, but I would tend to believe that the Pele, Messi and Ronaldo rookies will be easy to sell... always! A bit common for my taste, but still amazing options.