Thread: Team Bat Sets
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 08:00 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grob View Post
Mark,

Interesting that bring up the 1975-1976 Reds. Very popular team set, consistent starters for both years and no shortage of those bats (Not that they are cheap). But what you may be forced to go after really depends on the team.

80% of a 162 game schedule is 130 games. Every one of the “The Great Eight” hit that 80% threshold for both the 1975 and 1976 seasons. But with other clubs, it’s not always so clean.

Consider the 1969 New York Mets, another very popular team set. For those largely recognized as starters for that club, only Cleon Jones and Tommy Agee hit the 80% mark. The 1969 Mets had 11 position players with over 100 games.

Dave Grob
I would usually be OK with the starting lineup, but this would include platoon players (e.g. Clendenon and Kranepool). And when a role player like Al Weis makes an important contribution in a playoff game or world series, then I don't think a set would not be complete without it. For example, I have been going after the 1925 Pirates bats, and I would love to add a Stuffy McInnis to it. He wasn't a regular, but he had a big hit in game 7. But I don't think that bat will ever be available.