View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Nick Barnes

ugh, this might not be very popular but I loathe the "investor" side of the hobby. The idea of "flipping" and all that irritates me to no end. It has taken cards that might have been ownable for the avg person into the stratosphere. I hear as much if not more about "flips" and grading and prices ..etc than I do about the player's ,their history and the game of baseball. It's like some low rent stock market, it reminds me ofthe junk wax era when it seemed kids were turning into Warren Buffet instead of baseball fans, (and that didn't end well did it?) and it makes me sad.

But hey, it's their money if they want to keep chasing the profits it's their bidness, but in the end I suspect several people are going to end up with egg on their faces and empty pockets when some of these 6 figure cards drop like a stone one day.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm not dismissing the idea of cards as an investment, not at all. If folks want to collect and then sell when they retire to have a little nest egg, that's fine. I'm talking about the flipping and extreme price increases cause by what seems to be a very few amount of people artificially creating a boom. These folks don't like baseball or the hobby, they just want to make a ton of cash and bail. I like capitalism as much as the next guy, but it's hurting the hobby not helping it.

Last edited by bravos4evr; 08-02-2016 at 04:43 PM.