View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
How about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjkLKKgOMRY

I still LOL.
Unfortunately, I grew up in the 80's, you know, when prices on everything were down to earth.

I have 2 pretty good stories.

1. In (I think) 1988 they'd have a show at a hotel a few miles from my house in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. I'd go every month. There was someone there once who had 3 52' Mantles, all in rough shape, for $200 each. I remember telling my dad "This is the most popular card besides the Wagner, buy all three of these and there's no way you'll lose money on them". He knew nothing about cards and I remember Beckett's book value at the time was EX $3,300 and Mint $6,600. I showed the Beckett to him when we got home and he said "Maybe we should have bought those cards". (To know my dad and his luck, you have to know that my mom's cousin invented the TENS Device and asked my parents if they wanted to invest $10k when he incorporated, he said "absolutely not". I don't know what they would have cashed out for, but it would have been more than $10k!)

2. In 2014, there was a 1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF PSA 8 on Ebay for $2,500. I thought it was over priced and told the guy I'd give him $2k for it. He came down to $2200 and that was that, no deal. A PSA 3 just sold on Ebay for $3k.

Last edited by jakeinge; 04-07-2017 at 04:30 PM.