View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

We've all been ripped off one time or another. I was ripped off by my best friend's father.

I started collecting cards in the mid 50's when I was a young kid and stopped around the late 70's. I only collected Topps and had several thousand cards. I was a big Yankee fan back then until the Met's came along. I collected everything that had Maris or Mantle on it. I also had every Yankee yearbook from the late 50's to late 60's. In addition I had every Met Yearbook from their first until the early 70's. So, I amassed a huge collection.

Then one day in the late 70's my best friend told me that her father buys sports cards and memorabilia. Since I was a teenager and needed money badly, I said "Great". Her dad came to my apartment and took everything I owned and told me that it was only worth $500. I took the money thinking that I got a great deal.

It wasn't until I was shopping at a mall several months down the road where there was a card show going on at the same time that I knew the scumbag ripped me off. He was selling my yearbooks for $50 to $100 a shot. I don't have to tell you the value of those Mantle cards.

Here I was trusting a friends Dad and he took me for a ride. It's over 35 years ago but I still get pissed off.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard