View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 08:07 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeabe View Post
Glad to see other die hard old school wrestling fans. I grew up in NY too with the wwwf/wwf. I too love watching the shoot interviews. Can you imagine a fan coming to the ring and stabbing blackjack mulligan while he wrestled Pedro morales in Boston garden. Talk about a time when wrestling was "real".
When I was a kid attending television tapings in Hamburg and Allentown, no one terrified me like George Steele coming into stands and "attacking" fans. But I wasn't real comfortable when Blackjack Mulligan would wrestle some hapless jobber like a Frankie Williams or Steve King, either.

The WWF of the time did a fabulous job building up Mulligan as fearsome heel by using a huge, red "X' across the television screen every time Mulligan would apply the claw so that viewers at home would not be traumatized by the sight of gushing blood. I can remember my friends coming over to my house and we would sit about one inch from the television screen and try to see around the "X" for any signs of blood when Mulligan would apply the claw.

Like I said, I was a voracious reader of wrestling magazines as a kid. My friends and I would seemingly take turns reacting with righteous indignation if any of us would express even the slightest unfamiliarity with wrestlers or territories from other parts of the country or the world.

I can remember how furious I would get as a kid when valuable time on the weekly television broadcasts would be wasted by showing a women's match. Little did I know at the time the reason why Moolah was the women's champion for decades. The occasional midget match with the inevitable spot where one (or more) of the combatants would bite the ref in the ass was only slightly more palatable.

Last edited by Bored5000; 03-27-2016 at 10:18 PM.