View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 07:30 AM
David Peck

I started watching wresting when I was in diapers and probably realized what I was watching at four or five. Growing up in Orlando my dad went to a lot of the matches in the 70's at the Orlando Sports Stadium later named the Eddie Graham Sports Stadium. Once he had a few kids his days of attending the matches were over. My favorite story growing up that he told countless times was the night that Buddy Colt broke the arm of Johnny Walker. He and his friends loved the action but naturally questioned its authenticity but on this night there was nothing fake about it. Sitting ring side and witnessing Colt hurl Walker into the ring post and seeing his arm break severely right in front of them left them feeling it was real! I bought him a signed Buddy Colt photo and Johnny Walker and gave him a graded Mr. Wrestling II which was Walker's latter gimmick. He loved it.

We didn't have cable so we got to watch wrestling on Sunday's and many times our mom forced us to turn it off when Kevin Sullivan and his Army of Darkness would come out with the satanic story lines. I can remember my dad quoting the late great Gordon Solie and saying he turned his face into a crimson mask. When church was over at noon we did our best to get home as quick as possible and only miss the first few minutes of the show.

Once Hulkamania hit I was beyond hooked and never stopped watching. What great memories so many have from wrestling.