View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Al

Quote:
I guess it's probably because we have the term "high end" for the high grade stuff, and "low end" doesn't sound very appealing
I LOVE the term "collector grade." The first time I read it was here on Net54, years ago. The implication, to me, was that all the stuff is GREAT, regardless of what condition it's in, and collectors like us are happy to pick up the cards they need, regardless of grade. Better to have a hole in the card than a hole in the collection, as the saying goes.

It's a much better way of describing cards than "beater," or "low-grade," in my opinion, because to me, those cards that have been loved and handled are just as awesome as the beauties that haven't. If you buy one of those cards, you shouldn't feel like it's somehow inferior. You wanted a card, and you got it, and it's awesome!

In any event, thanks for all the positive comments in this thread. The idea behind the Set Builder's auction is to be able to present lower-dollar lots that are still cool and unique and worthy of a collector's attention. In a lot of ways, it's more fun to run the Set Builder's auction for me - lower-dollar lots means more people can participate, the lower buyer's premium and cheap shipping just means it's a fun auction for everyone. From a consignor's standpoint, it's an easy way to clean out the dupes box with fees that are the same or less than eBay's. That's sort of the idea behind the Set Builder's auction. It's just a fun thing we do in-between the bigger auctions because auctions are fun and cool, and because everyone loves getting cards in the mail!

-Al

Last edited by Al C.risafulli; 05-14-2015 at 12:43 PM.