View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 08:28 AM
Mike M.

I thought I’d chime in, I love watching today’s game. Fantasy football keeps me interested and for those of you that haven’t tried it I recommend it. It’s worth trying, I used to make fun of it so if that is your inclination I understand but once I started playing it really does help with my interest in the current game. I also happen to live in Las Vegas so betting on the games keeps me interested as well. I understand that most of the country can’t do that legally and I honestly think that hurts interest since a lot of games that are no longer relevant from a who’s going to win perspective can still be interesting as to who will cover.

Also there have been some great games this year, and the superbowl race is wide open. It’s a shame there have been some major injuries to star players this year and yes that has hurt my interest a little but to say that today’s game isn’t as exciting as it was in the 1960’s just isn’t correct in my opinion. Yes, it’s way more commercialized but it’s still great football. I understand that collecting is a way to connect to our youth but for me that’s picking up 1989 score Barry Sanders cards or 1986 rice cards. The reason I buy chicle’s, mayo’s and early leaf and bowman is an appreciation of the pioneers of the sport and the reason i pick up Tom brady, Carson Wentz, Levon bell, Todd Guley, joey bosa and Jalen ramsey etc. is they are just flat out exciting to watch on Sunday. My appreciation for older cards comes from a direct appreciation of today’s game, it’s also nice that football cards seem to sell for much less than their baseball counterparts so I can put together a nice collection over time without breaking the bank. A 1952 mantle is out of my price range but a 1958 brown or 1957 Unitas is not, even a 1935 nagurski isn’t any more expensive then a ruth of that era.

Last edited by mmier118; 12-22-2017 at 08:30 AM.