View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 08:06 AM
George

This is an enjoyable thread. I agree with Tom the 1976 Bench is one of the iconic cards of Bench and the modern era. And Darren is right that the 1958 coughing Brooksie is just awful. I kinda like the 1975 short-bill card, however. Here's my take on Hank Aaron --
GOOD: So many great Aaron cards to choose from, but I think the 1965 Topps is one of the nicest. Tightly cropped, showing his powerful hands and legendary wrists gripping the bat. Just a great baseball card -- if NASA had to put one card into a capsule to show other civilizations what baseball cards are, this would be a contender for the honor.
BAD: I remember being disappointed in the 1973 Aaron card from the moment I first ripped it from a wax pack as an 8-year-old. Here's a guy on the verge of breaking one of the most hallowed records in sports, and Topps chooses a photo of him looking up at a pop fly?
UGLY: The 1975/76 SSPC card of Aaron captures some of his end-of-career paunch maxing out his blue doubleknits. The 1976 Topps highlight card also shows Aaron's middle-aged gut, but it's a pretty decent action shot of him swinging the bat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 9.46.04 AM.jpg (22.5 KB, 85 views)