View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 10:52 AM

Default Worst signers

By far the worst person that I ever encounter for signing was Dimaggio. In 1995, in Chicago he signed at the Sun Times Show but had a list of things he would also not sign. I took a 1949 "Life magazine size Sports Illustrated...He was on the cover...I also took a regular 90's one as well as a backup.. He was charging $175.00 for a flat item if I remember correctly. He came out wearing glasses like for when you eyes are dilated. Apparently the flashes from cameras bothered him. He told my mother who went with me (big Yankee fan) to hurry up and finish the pictures she was taking as she was holding up the line....(before extra fees for photos)
However, the kicker was the guy in front of me. He had paid his money...waited in line...and had a baseball signed by Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle which he had gotten signed previously. When he got to the front of the line...Dimaggio looked at the baseball and said...."Not signing that.....don't sign anything Mantle signed ahead of me!" The guy had to get out of line and buy a regular baseball and just get that signed instead...
By far however the highlight of the day was a person who had a framed picture with a cut out area to have signed...Dimaggio signed it....the guy was elated...and later opened the frame to reveal a first issue of Playboy with Marilyn on the cover and unknowingly---Dimaggio had signed it in the cut out area.