View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 12:54 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Are we also going to reexamine every great historical figure to see if they were sexist, or homophobic, or anti-Semitic, because given the context of their times many likely were. What's the point? We should move forward, not engage in token feel good exercises that really accomplish nothing.
In the larger sense of reexamining great historical figures in general, I guess I see the examination of our history, both successes and failures, as a valuable exercise in learning and growing beyond where we are now. As the famous saying goes, those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it. And just a hunch, but I think that people who fit into the categories who were impacted probably don't consider a closer examination as a token exercise.

More to the question of how it might impact HOF ball players - I wouldn't think it would at all. That part of baseball's history has already been a topic for years and I think that there's probably already an expectation that players from certain eras would reflect the societal norms of that time.