View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks for more of your thoughts, everyone!

Paul, Dean has always been totally up to accepting payment plans like that since the beginning. When someone commissions something, the normal path is to do the deposits in thirds: the first 1/3 is to really lock your place in the queue so that you're in on that specific price structure and so I can purchase the necessary supplies and secure image rights to get started. The second third is due when I'm halfway into the piece, and the third is due upon completion.

He's always been willing to work with those who requested to pay in more installments, as long as they were serious about it and could commit to it. The most important thing that he always advises is to get that first one to him whether you know what you want or not, as then you get locked into that original rate and have the time to decide. Of course, all considering you know that you actually want to have something painted.

Andrew, thank you for those kind words. I guess the whole pricing issue varies from person to person. They're definitely some who don't really understand why some artwork costs what it costs, but in the end, a lot of those types can be the ones who aren't really interested in it - which is totally fine. But yeah, that side of things really is tough. It took me a long time to be at peace with it, and still, even now it feels a bit weird to talk about. I tell a lot of young artists that it's completely natural to feel awkward about pricing out your work, but also that it's such an important concept to learn about grasping, nonetheless. In order to justify what you ask for monetarily-speaking, the process of artmaking needs to be held in high regard and treated with respect. In other words, an artist's time, level of skill and experience all need to be valued much like anyone else's in any kind of workforce. If a lawyer can justify charging hundreds of dollars per hour because of his/her expertise, abilities, education and history in the field, should an artist should feel any different about his/her trade?

Regarding the raffle stuff, I'm DEFINITELY excited to have another one. I'm just really glad I was finally able to land the image needed for John's painting, so once that one's done (or close to it), we can think about having another one. Hopefully it'll be received just as well!

Graig