View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Default I got the Grading Blues...

Posted By: Russ Bright

Down tooo my shooooes....

So, Here's my story (and I'm sticking to it) i recently send in (Via a nice board member) 7 mid grade 60's Topps Baseball cards to PSA to get graded. All of them looked very nice raw, there were a couple problems with centering, but corners were sharp, no creases, etc.

AFter the grading, the card that was OC the most (1957 Willie Mays #10) Garnered a 6. There were 2 5's that I knew were 5's (1962 Mantle reg issue and Allstar). 1 card (1966 Mantle) that got a 5 that I was on the fence about, looked nicer but had centering problems. One came back ungradeable (miscut, but card measures and looks fine) And 2 PSA 4's. The 4's looked the best of all of the cards i sent in and graded the lowest. I have PSA 4 that looks like it's been in someone's bike spokes - These 2 cards looked pristine compared to that.

I have high grade scans if there's anyone out there who would like to look at these and offer some advise on what to do? I heard rumors about the "grader of death" and it seems that I got him on a couple of my cards. I am considering resubmitting for a regrade.

If you know something about PSA grading and 60's topps cards please email me at ambrosia2@hotmail.com
I can send you scans and maybe we can figure out what I should do.

And before this happens... I sent the Mantles to PSA to get graded for resale value. I'm going to grade my T205's with SGC. Please don't turn this into a grading flamewar. Both companies have their benefits, I would just like some insight/help into why cards that look much better grade much worse than comparable cards. And wheether or not it would be worth my time to submit for a regrade.

thanks for your time!

Russ