Thread: Iconic Player?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
In your opinion, what defines a player as iconic? And, why are some players able to achieve or are viewed in that respect, and others, even with the stats / numbers, are unable to achieve that status?
Icons are recognizable leaders...icons are one of the greatest players of all time whose records stand the test time...and icons deliver in the clutch.

Here are mine in the Topps era:

1. Mickey Mantle...if he had taken care of his body....his records would be even more remarkable
2. Willie Mays...statistic wise very underrated...missed 2 years due to military service...most likely would have hit 700+ HRs
3. Hank Aaron...still home run king...fair and square
4. Sandy Koufax...no pitcher dominated in his prime like Koufax whose career was cut short.
5. Nolan Ryan...career no hitters and KKs unapproachable
6. Reggie...Mr October performed well when the bright lights shone. A World Series ring for each finger on one hand
7.Pete Rose...Love him or hate him. He still played the game the way it should be played with all out hustle. I would want his leadership on my team. Hit record nearly unapproachable.
8. Clemente...humanitarian and complete ball player in the field and at the plate. He could do it all: run, hit, field

For these players...I like to collect more than just their rookie cards. High prices seem to trickle down to their other cards more so than other HOFs.

Last edited by mintonlyplz; 06-13-2016 at 08:22 PM.