View Single Post
Old 04-11-2015, 10:09 PM

Lots of love here for the 71 OPCs. Count me in for more love for that great set.

Given the thread title, toughest 70s set, and all of the posts about 1971 OPCs; I am really surprised that no one has written about the 1974 OPCs. Although the 74s do not have the tough to find in higher grade factor like the 71s do, I feel that 74s are more scarce. The 74s just seem harder to find. I know that the 74 Topps set doesn't usually make many collectors' top ten lists, but I feel that the OPC version should be more sought after. Similar to the 71s, the 74 OPCs have a bright yellow back that is very attractive. I also like the different layout Hank Aaron special cards in the OPC version. I think it is a great set.

Getting back to 70s OPCs in general, I actually like the rough cuts on the softer OPC card stock. In hand, you can really see and feel the difference vs. regular issue Topps card stock. To me, it reminds me of the softer, whiter stock used in some series of 1959 Topps...and lots of rough cuts. The soft card stock on 70s OPCs cards is my main factor why high grade OPCs should be more valuable. Soft card stock means that the card is more easily damaged. I understand that demand sets the price, but average found condition should be factored in. For example, Begsu's 71 OPC Ryan posted above - that would be a super condition card for a Topps version, but being OPC, that card is outstanding. That OPC Bench which was shared is also ridiculously nice. Any one have a centered #100 OPC Pete Rose to share? Does one exist?

I also like the color of the OPC cards. The white(r) stock really makes the colors on the fronts of the cards pop. Regular issue Topps cards sometimes look hue muted or dull next to the bright OPCs. Love the color.

I am happy to read of 1970s OPC getting some good attention here.

Last edited by horzverti; 04-11-2015 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Typo